Friday, November 13, 2009

Not the Dog Walk I Had in Mind

Tonight, this fellow needed a walk:
I slipped on Nathan's jacket and my flip flops and headed outside. Yeah, I walk my dog at midnight. Is that a good idea? Well, I would say "no" after the adventures of tonight.

I walked down the normal block, as usual, going the route we always go. Toby is so familiar with our routine that he practically bounds down the sidewalk, pulling me along with him. So, everything was fine and then I noticed a car. A white Dodge Charger. It slowed down when it passed me, but continued on its way. Then it turned around at the end of the block and passed me again. I was immediately suspicious...perhaps because I was too much Law and Order: SVU and Criminal Minds. Nevertheless, I was alert. I was aware. And to be honest, I was scared. When the Charger turned around for the third time, I felt all the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Toby, oblivious to my plight, merrily sniffed every piece of grass possible and jumped on every pile of leaves in sight. As before, the car went up a block, made a u-turn, and then came back towards me. I took out my phone to call Nathan, telling myself that maybe it was something suspicious after all, and realized I had BOTH of our phones...His was in the pocket of the jacket I was wearing.

Great, I thought. I'm going to be attacked or assaulted. Again, perhaps I have watched too many crime shows, but those are the thoughts that were racing in my mind.

Finally, the car turned at the stop sign instead of making a u-turn. I breathed a sigh of relief and was turning around the corner of the street when the Charger made another appearance. It had gone all the way around the block only to return. AGAIN...it made a u-turn...and passed me for the SIXTH time. A man wearing a black hoodie drove up in front of me- right in front of me. I ran. Practically choking Toby, stepping in puddles, and absolutely terrified, I hurried home, looking back to see the car had disappeared.

An ally is on that street- an alley that runs behind our house actually. I had this feeling the car had slipped down that road. I told Nathan what had happened and he informed me that one of his coworkers (who lives two houses down) has noticed a white car circling her house the past week. With that said, I called the police. Meanwhile, Nathan and Brandon got in a car and went to check the ally. The car was there. License plate B947BJ. Parked right in the middle of the alley, blocking traffic. Right behind our house.

I was freaked. I still am freaked. I thought I was going to throw up and my mind was automatically thinking of home invasion/stalker scenarios. Officer Harris was sent to check on the situation. He called us to let us know he was running a check on the car and would update us on what was happening.

A few minutes ago, he called. DUN DUN DUN. AND...

There were TWO people in the car (at least when he talked to them). A young girl and the man wearing the hoodie. The check on the car had shown the owner had a prior charge of drug possession: marijuana and cocaine. Additionally, he had had a DUI. The young girl lives near us. She also has similar charges. The cop wanted to a cite them for drunk driving or drug possession, but they never DROVE the car while he was there. Officer Harris informed me that they were both intoxicated and he could smell that they had "been smoking a joint." So no rape. No murder. Maybe I was the girl who cried wolf some, but HEY- I was scared.

Point of the story: Don't go out at midnight and walk your dog. Especially, don't walk your dog on the shady end of the block. And if you do HAVE to be out, make sure you aren't dressed ridiculously- in your flower print pajama pants, flip flops and an over-sized jacket. Because if you are, chances are a drunk/high couple will stop and laugh at you. Continually. Which is no fun.

6 comments:

  1. OMG! Don't you ever go walking at midnight, crazy! You would have gotten seriously hurt! I'm glad they were just drunks... but you never know what they could have been doing! I'm so sorry! I would have called the cops while walking! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT THE CRAZY!!!!!!!!! I can't believe that happened. You know, it's probably a good thing you watch those shows because they probably saved your life. That's good that you called the police. Hopefully, it will make them more aware of these creeps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I love your background change. :)

    ReplyDelete

A Penny For Your Thoughts