Saturday, January 23, 2010

Crazy Utah Weather

A couple of day ago, I drove to Springville to visit Becca and Kyle. Little did I know that a wind storm of massive proportions was on its way. While there, we could hear the wind howling and remarked several times: "That is SO loud! It must be pretty bad out there."

On the way back to Provo, the wind was incredibly strong. I was concentrating on keeping the car on the road and in the correct lane when all of a sudden, the plastic bumper on the car in front of me blew off, causing him (and subsequently me) to swerve. Disaster #1 averted.

Seconds later, Disaster #2 presented itself. A billboard (yes, a regular size HUGE billboard) flew across the middle of the street, immediately followed by Sonic sign. It was crazy weather. Eliza and I made it safely home, but as I took her out of her carseat, the wind began to pick up again. She startled and starting panicking, gasping for air. Of course, this caused me to panic. We made it inside, where I waited for the roof of our garage to fly off. It rattled all night, but somehow stayed in place. However, our neighbor's makeshift garage wasn't so lucky.

On the news last night, it said wind gusts in Springville and Provo peaked at 74 mph. That's category 1 hurricane force winds! While reading about the weather phenomenon, I stumbled across this:I'm glad I didn't hit that sign...and that it didn't hit me.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. How scary! I'm glad I live in Salt Lake now haha. We didn't get any of that, I swear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's insane!!! I'm glad you are all safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG i am glad you are safe!!!! yikes! scary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! thats crazy!! My mom was telling me about how those winds almost blew the dog away (which would have been a funny story...but a sad reality). I didn't believe it, I thought she was over exaggerating!

    ReplyDelete

A Penny For Your Thoughts