Thursday, January 7, 2010

Pears

Yesterday was Eliza's four month birthday! She is getting so big. Today, we took her to the pediatrician for her check up and she is in the 75th percentile for height and the 60th percentile for her weight. The doctor let us know she was "off the charts" for a premature baby. Having a healthy child feels so good!

To help celebrate the occasion of Eliza's birth, Nathan decided it was time to introduce pureed foods. He went to the store to get items and decided to pick up some baby food as well. Pears. He wanted her first "real" food to be pears. Cute. I hate pears, though. But whatever. I recognize they aren't disgusting, so I was ok with it :)

I was a bit wary of giving her anything other than breastmilk, but he was so excited that I couldn't disagree. She was crying (as usual) and refusing milk, so Nathan opened a can of food and we put a little bit of pureed pears on her tongue. Success! She LOVED it. She instantly stopped crying, looked up at us, and squealed with delight. Then, she continued to stick her tongue out repeatedly like a dog after he eats peanut butter. It was adorable.

I thought it was too soon for baby food, but the pediatrician agreed it was the perfect time to begin introducing new foods. It's pretty exciting. Becca told me all about making your own baby food, so I'm going to see if I can do that and save some money. Also, I'm going to make sure to feed her only the foods I like. Today, I ventured over to the baby food aisle and saw some foods that I would never eat...or feed Eliza. Peas? Sick. Prunes? Disgusting. Sweet potato? Never. I am going to stick with the safe stuff: applesauce and peaches. Delicious.

I know Nathan will probably feed her the sweet potatoes or other gross things (that are healthy and necessary), but I won't. Nope. I realize this is immature and probably ACTUALLY won't happen, but I like to think I won't make her eat things she doesn't like.

6 comments:

  1. awww how cute! I don't like pears much myself.... but my dog used to hit our pear tree, knock down the overripe ones, and eat them. aww Buffy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to feed my baby all the nasty vegetables that I hate. Because I'm mean. At least one of us will get the proper nutrients. And then maybe my kids won't be as picky as I am!

    Thanks for coming over today. It was so fun to see you. Next time, I need to see Eliza too. I miss that baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. How else will she get her veggies?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I give Nathan all the gross veggies. But I vowed to myself that I would try everything I gave my baby and if he didn't like it and I agreed, I wouldn't make him eat it. But there have been a couple of veggies I thought were disgusting that he just gobbled right up. He'll eat anything I give him! I sure hope he stays that way... Matt is such an incredibly picky eater and I can't imagine having to deal with that in a child. But I have learned that Beech Nut bananas taste weird, so now I'll only get Gerber bananas. And Nathan had pears for the first time yesterday. I thought they were a bit too gritty but he of course loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got over my aversions and fed Wes everything I could in baby food form in hopes he wouldn't be the ridiculously picky eater that I am. And now that kid loves him some broccoli and a bunch of other veggies that I barely touch. It's nasty, but it's worth it if you end up with a healthy eater!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All three of my kids would not touch any baby food that was green but they loved carrots and sweet potatoes.

    ReplyDelete

A Penny For Your Thoughts