Monday, June 13, 2011

A Few Steps Forward

This weekend, I spent the majority of my days laying on the couch and intermittently vomiting. Glamorous, I know. By Sunday, my body was spent. Immediately after eating dinner, I threw up (of course). However, this time, there was blood. I've been throwing up so violently that I actually wasn't too surprised. I knew this was the signal to go back to the ER and get some more fluid.

Several hours and 2 liters of IV solution later, I came home six pounds heavier and completely exhausted. Our doctor's appointment this afternoon couldn't come soon enough. 

We finally saw the physician who delivered Eliza, i.e. the doctor I LOVE. Dr. Warner is absolutely amazing, and I am kicking myself for not specifically requesting to see him from day one. As soon as he saw me, he was sympathetic and kind and instantly did an ultrasound to check how the babies were. They were absolutely perfect and kicking like crazy! He also discovered (most likely) a thin membrane separating the twins, which is such a relief. He wasn't 100% positive, but Nathan and I both saw the little glimmer of something between them and are convinced it's the membrane we've been praying for.

Dr. Warner then moved on to my health. Due to my weight loss and obviously haggard appearance, he suggested immediate IV therapy via home health. Someone will come to our house and give me IVs three to four times a week until Nathan learns how to perform the services himself. In addition to the IV solution, I will also receive a vitamin mixture intravenously in order to prevent malnutrition. Dr. Warner told us: "God is really blessing you with two babies this time because he knows how hard pregnancy is for you." I completely agree.

After the meeting (which I ran out of  in order to throw up), Dr. Warner hugged both Nathan and I and said: "This too shall pass. We're going to take care of you." He is the nicest man, and I really feel as though I finally have an advocate. 

I'm excited to be healthy again!

p.s. Nathan's version of events is listed below :)

8 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, Celia, I'm so sorry. But I'm really glad you got to see this guy. Can he clone himself and follow you around for the rest of your pregnancy? My sister had the exact same IV treatment until about 20-something weeks. Then she started feeling a little better. They also gave her steroids for a few days when she kept losing weight, which helped get her back some strength. Anyway, I am so sorry. You can do this. Hang in there, sweet friend. We are in Othello now, and can't wait until you're here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an amazing doctor!! And that's so great that someone is finally going to take care of you. I mean, I get nasty sick but you get SICK with pregnancy. You poor thing. But I remember praying that Baby 2 was twins so that I could just be done :) You're in luck if you were thinking 3 is a good number!

    Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a big deal, also I kind of imagined you as an old lady because that's what home health means to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you saw the good doctor and are getting some home health care. That will make a huge difference!! Feel better soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how wonderful! It's such a blessing and a comfort to have a trusted doctor on your side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you'll be able to see this doctor for the rest of the time you are there. I'm so glad he's taking good care of you. He seems so kind and understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad you'll be taken care of!!

    ReplyDelete

A Penny For Your Thoughts