Friday, June 10, 2011

It's All Worth It

The past few weeks have been pretty hard. I have been incredibly sick, which has made even the smallest tasks challenging. Because of my medications, I am unable to drive to work (Nathan has been my chauffeur), and I find myself in a perpetual state of exhaustion. Basically, I am no fun, and I have ceased to be a contributing member to society and my family. Nathan has been amazing and supportive, but it's still been pretty rough.

With Eliza, I received IV therapy, which helped me stay hydrated and more...alive? Yes, I think that is a good way of explaining it. This pregnancy, the one doctor I have seen (there are three in the group and I LOVED the doctor who delivered Eliza) has been pretty unsympathetic to my sickness and just prescribes more and more medicine.  On Tuesday, Nathan and I both called the doctors' office, hoping to speak with a nurse, who said she would call us back. She didn't return either phone call. I had been unable to eat for two days and was continuing to lose weight. By Wednesday, I had a fever and vertigo. I have never had vertigo before, and I hope to never have it again. Basically, when I shut my eyes, I felt like I was still moving. The dizziness only exacerbated the nausea and the vomiting.

We were told to go straight to the ER, which was scary, but also somewhat of a relief because I knew I was finally going to get help. When I told the ER doctor who was treating me that I had a history of hyperemesis and had contacted my doctors' office several times for help, he looked surprised at their (lack of) response. And when he found out the doctor was waiting FOUR weeks to see me again, he was obviously NOT pleased. He said with my history and now with twins, I should be monitored weekly - at least. Additionally, the tests performed in the ER showed that not only was I severely dehydrated, but that my body had entered the beginning phases of malnourishment. The ER physician learned one of my doctors was on call in the hospital and decided to contact him. With the phone just a few feet away from my open door, I heard the doctor receive a pretty stern lecture.

The ER doctor (my hero) came back into the room and said he recommended IV therapy at least two times a week and encouraged me to leave my IV line in place. He said if I kept the IV, my doctor would HAVE to see me within 48 hours and it would most likely pressure whoever I saw into giving me more fluids. I opted to remove the line, but thanked him for looking out for me. My doctors' office was able to get me an appointment for Monday morning, so I guess we'll see where we go from here.

Maybe my zombie days are coming to an end? And despite me pregnant with twins this time around, I was much sicker with Eliza. I keep thinking that she prepared me well for this next adventure :)  Despite all the sickness, dizziness, etc, I really am grateful for the opportunity to be pregnant again and I wouldn't change my circumstances for anything. Mostly, the past few weeks have shown me that I really need to take control of my life and this pregnancy. I know my body and if I am not receiving the support and the services I expect from my doctors, I am entitled to go elsewhere and find someone who IS willing to help me.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you've been so sick and that you've had such a messed up doctor. However, it's good to know that the ER doctor was able to help in getting you the care you need. Hopefully, when you move up here we can get you into a really good doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy moly. I'm glad you're OK! And yes, you have to take charge. I dealt with some stupid nurses during my pregnancy that either didn't believe me, or weren't understanding what I was trying to say. It only continued in the NICU. I know doctors and nurses are schooled, but sometimes I wish they would actually listen to the person who is going through the experience and give them sensible options.

    Keeping you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! That sounds like no fun! I hope those doctors will start listening and take care of you and those sweet babies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, I am so sorry! What a mess. I know how you feel (to some extent). My sister is this sick, too. And you're right - it is SO worth it! Just hang in there, and soon you will have cute little twins, and you get to keep them forever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen. You have to be very proactive/assertive/pushy with doctors. Be your and your babies advocate. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. DUDE, girl, get a NEW DOCTOR. You do not deserve to be treated like that. When I was sick (not as bad as you), my midwives would have me in that day to help me out, and the nurses there are so good about promptly calling back. They have three doctors that practice there too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree! Gook luck and I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete

A Penny For Your Thoughts