Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Water, Water Everywhere

Physically, I feel exhausted. The past few days have been rough on my body. Since Monday, I have had an insatiable thirst for water. I have been drinking 4-5 liters (yes, LITERS) a day, and it hasn't been enough. My tongue is dry, my lips are cracked, and I feel parched.

So I have continued to drink...and drink....until I made myself nauseated this morning. 

As soon as I woke up, I knew something was not right. I was so exhausted I couldn't move and the extreme thirst was only worsening. After spending my evenings watching "Mystery Diagnosis," my brain was going through the possibilities. Words like "gestational diabetes" and "preterm labor" went through my mind. However, I decided it may be normal, considering that I live in the desert and have never been pregnant with twins before.

Shortly before noon, I had the impression that I needed to call my doctor. I was laying down and suddenly felt a strong need to find my phone and make an appointment. So, I did. Meanwhile, I continued to worry.

As it turns out, I had a pretty severe infection that could have caused preterm labor if it went untreated. My body was not assimilating the water I was drinking, so everything went straight through me, causing the extreme thirst.

I am so grateful that we went to the doctor and that the "worst case scenario" did not apply to me. I need to continue to focus on the positives of this pregnancy and not obsess over the possibilities of complications arising. It's easier said than done!

I can try though, right?

2 comments:

  1. Whoa! Umm, I think I need to call you tomorrow. Yeah, definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, scary! You definitely are in tune with the spirit and your instincts as a mom. Good job calling even though you may have thought "it could be nothing." I think that all the time, especially when it comes to Noah, and I always feel better if I check anyway. Hang in there and keep those babies cookin'!

    ReplyDelete

A Penny For Your Thoughts